Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
International students enrolled in an ECE Graduate Program may register for CPT (RACK 998) during the spring/summer term. Usually students conduct the internship in the spring/summer, but register for RACK 998 in the preceding winter term.
- Graduate students must enroll full-time each fall and winter semester.
- Students may not engage in CPT in lieu of full-time enrollment.
- CPT will not be allowed in the student’s final term unless the student needs to register for other courses that are required for the completion of the academic program.
- All Robotics Grad students are in RACKHAM programs
Instructions for CPT:
- Completed the CPT Online Certification Course (through the International Center)
- Prepare the following:
- CPT Online Completion Certificate (International Center website)
- An official job offer letter from a company
- Letter should include start date, end date, rate of pay and position title. A sample letter is on the IC website.
- The Academic/Faculty Advisor Recommendation Form
- Complete the only the first two lines of the “NAME” section.
- A detailed CPT Statement of Intent
- Describe the job you will be doing in detail and give some description of the company and how their work relates to your field of study
- Describe how the work that you will be doing relates to the coursework that you have done or will do in your academic program.
- Submit all documents above to Graduate Coordinator.
- Graduate Coordinator will process and return to you
- Email your CPT application plus your I-20 (p. 1 & 3) and I-94 to ISDGradCoords@umich.edu the subject line: “CPT Documents” or drop it off at School of Information-North Campus, room 1220.
- You will be notified of your enrollment in RACK 998.
- After you are enrolled in RACK 998, take your application packet (including I-20 and I-94) to the International Center for final approval.
- Following your CPT experience you must submit a final report (3-5 pages) that outlines all of the work that you did during your internship.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
You must be enrolled in courses the semester you apply for OPT.
If you apply for OPT and you do not graduate at the end of the semester, it is your responsibility to contact the International Center to cancel your OPT. Failure to contact the International Center can result in you being out of immigration status or the loss of OPT time.
Instructions for OPT Letter:
- Apply for graduation.
- Email graduate program coordinator for a OPT letter.
- Complete the remaining steps outline on the International Center’s website.