Non-Robotics Students seeking to add a Robotics Master’s Degree
The Robotics Graduate Committee prefers that the dual degree applicant complete both ROB 501 and ROB 550 before submitting the Add a Degree Application. In addition to reviewing performance in coursework, an applicant’s overall credentials will be carefully considered by the Robotics Graduate Committee.
Beginning August 2019 the Robotics Graduate Committee will no longer accept dual degree applications from students whose primary program offers a Robotics option (e.g. ECE: Robotics, MECHENG: Mechatronics) unless an exceptional situation exists.
First term (Fall): pursue first (non-robotics) degree only
Second term (Winter): plan to take ROB 550. While a student can apply after completing a minimum of one term in a U-M MS program, such an application may be deferred or denied because the student will not yet have established a strong robotics coursework record.
Third term (Fall): plan to take ROB 501 and complete the Add a Degree Application. Applicant may not be informed whether they are accepted into the dual degree program until their ROB 501 grade is posted.
- Have demonstrated preparation and interest in robotics
- The Graduate Committee will review all application-centered credentials. Minimum requirements are >3.5 cumulative Rackham GPA and B+ or better grades in ROB 501 and ROB 550.
- You must meet with your current program advisor or graduate coordinator prior to submitting the application for dual admission. Upload the completed and signed Pre-Approval Form for Dual Admission in the online application.
- Complete the Rackham Dual Admission application. The required $10 application fee is payable via Visa or MasterCard.
- Prepare the following and send to firstname.lastname@example.org upon submitting your online application:
- U-M transcript (unofficial is okay)
- Paragraph explaining how you plan to fulfill the ROB 590 requirement. Attach confirmation from Core or Affiliate Robotics faculty that they have agreed to supervise your independent study.
Winter admission: December 1.
Fall admission: January 15
Current Robotics Students Applying to Other Programs
The Robotics Graduate Committee will not approve dual degrees with other programs that offer a Robotics option (e.g. ECE: Robotics, MECHENG: Mechatronics) unless an exceptional situation exists.
Current Robotics Students interested in applying to a dual degree in other programs should first meet with the program of interest to learn their requirements. After completing section A of the Pre-Approval Form for Dual Admission please submit the form to the Robotics Graduate Coordinator who will route the form to the Robotics Grad Chair (the Authorized Signer) for review.