Non-Robotics Students seeking to add a Robotics Master’s Degree
The Robotics Graduate Committee prefers that the dual degree applicant complete both ROB 501 and ROB 550 before submitting the Add a Degree Application. In addition to reviewing performance in coursework, an applicant’s overall credentials will be carefully considered by the Robotics Graduate Committee.
Beginning August 2019 the Robotics Graduate Committee will no longer accept dual degree applications from students whose primary program offers a Robotics option (e.g. ECE: Robotics, MECHENG: Mechatronics) unless an exceptional situation exists.
First term (Fall): pursue first (non-robotics) degree only
Second term (Winter): plan to take ROB 550. While a student can apply after completing a minimum of one term in a U-M MS program, such an application may be deferred or denied because the student will not yet have established a strong robotics coursework record.
Third term (Fall): plan to take ROB 501 and complete the Add a Degree Application. Applicant may not be informed whether they are accepted into the dual degree program until their ROB 501 grade is posted.
- Have demonstrated preparation and interest in robotics
- The Graduate Committee will review all application-centered credentials. Minimum requirements are >3.5 cumulative Rackham GPA and B+ or better grades in ROB 501 and ROB 550.
- Complete the Rackham Add a Degree or Certificate Application. The Robotics MS program code is 02110.
- Your home program will be notified of your application upon submission; they will review and enter a decision.
- Application is then routed to Robotics for review.
- Prepare the following and send to firstname.lastname@example.org upon submitting your online application:
- U-M transcript (unofficial is okay)
- Statement of Purpose
- Paragraph explaining how you plan to fulfill the ROB 590 requirement. Attach confirmation from Core or Affiliate Robotics faculty that they have agreed to supervise your independent study.
- Dual/Joint Degree Election Form: At the time of application to Robotics, signatures on this form are not required. The Graduate Committee will view this as your unofficial plan and understands course selections may change. A final form with signatures from each program will be required by Rackham in the term you plan to graduate with your second degree.
Current Robotics Students Applying to Other Programs
Current Robotics Students interested in applying to a dual degree in other programs should meet with the program of interest and complete the “Add a Degree or Certificate Program” application.